Friday, January 20, 2012

Underwear

Lately I haven't been sewing much out of studies... I've been just planning and dreaming mostly. The good news is that I'm nearly finished with a 1890s corset I'm making for my final project at school. I think I haven't mentioned that here before. The pattern is from Corsets: Historical Patterns & Techniques by Jill Salen. Mine is going to be very plain in white. It has been fun to try out something from the 19th century for a change. 

The whole project includes a set of unmentionables (underwear) from the 1890s and a study of the women's fashionable silhouette from 16th century to the early 20th century, which means I'm been researching a lot about the underwear from other periods than just 18th century, too, and it has been really interesting. 

Today I really felt like I just had to get my hands on sewing at home so I decided to make an extra under-petticoat that I should have made a long time ago but I just never got around to do it. It was a really quick project and here's the result. The petticoat is fitted over pocket hoops and has a ruffle in the hem. It's also white and shorter than my other petticoats so that it won't be seen. Nothing special, really, but anyway... A girl can never have enough petticoats, right? I was thinking about making a tutorial how to make a quick petticoat but I realized there is a few tutorials available already. 

Go check out:

The Diary of a Mantua Maker: Perfectly pleated petticoats


Now, feeling this productive, I think I'm heading off to make the actual petticoat for my robe à la Polonaise, since I didn't make it in time for the ball a couple of months ago...

2 comments:

  1. Tosi kiva kun pääset yhdistämään opiskelun ja harrastukset. Ihan unelmalopputyö.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Niinpä! Joissain määrin se on myös vähän huono asia ollu mutta suurimmaksi osaksi vaan hyvä!

      Delete